The right way to Naturally Strengthen your Immune Protection, When you’re at House
Indoor games, catching up with friends or simply cooking – there is just so much that you can do staying at home. But did you know that you can work on your health in this precious “me” time too?
When the Novel Coronavirus haunts your neighbourhood, you can never be too prepared. You may keep it at bay with personal hygiene habits, but that isn’t enough to keep you safe! Shield yourself from all such infections by reinforcing your immunity guard.
What is immunity?
Immunity is your body’s natural ability to fight against germs. It is not contained in a single body part. Rather, it is maintained through a system of organs. Everyone’s immune response varies as per the passing seasons, his/her medical history and overall health.
Does having good immunity ensure safety from Covid-19 virus?
With a good immunity, your body can prevent any kind of infection from taking root inside you. That way, even if you are exposed to bacteria or viruses, you will be able to fight them off. In case of Covid-19, a good immunity can prove to be a boon for prevention and faster recovery from the infection.
How can I improve my immunity while sitting at home?
Building your immunity is a challenging task that cannot be accomplished in a day. But following a healthy lifestyle can gradually cleanse your body of all toxins and germs. What better time than now when you’re home and have lots of time at hand! Your four natural “means” to immunity building are: medicinal herbs, good foods, exercise and meditation.
Which Ayurvedic herbs can boost my immunity?
As per Ayurveda, good immunity is a result of good metabolism, healthy hormonal balance and a balanced mind. So, detoxifying the body is as important as nourishing it. You can make your “home stay” healthier by using these herbal supplements on a regular basis:
- Amla is a household name all around India, but also Ayurveda’s best kept remedies. Rich in Vitamin C and essential nutrients, an Amla a day can kickstart your immunity and stimulate your digestive fire. If you don’t have fresh Amla you can take one tablespoon of Amla powder or 2 capsules with warm water in the morning on an empty stomach.
- Tulsi or the Holy Basil is rich in antioxidants and has many therapeutic effects. It is a natural detoxifier and expectorant. Tulsi can rid you of every health issue all the way from the lungs to the gastrointestinal tract. Take one tablespoon of Tulsi powder or 2 capsules with warm water in the morning on an empty stomach. Alternatively, you can also take 3-5 freshly plucked Tulsi leaves.
- Neem a natural disinfectant. You can spray it around the house or drink its decoction to kill the germs off. To prepare the decoction, boil 1-2 gms of neem bark or leaves in 100 ml water and reduce it to 50 ml. Drink one tablespoon of this decoction every day.
- Guduchi is a multi-purpose herb that regulates fever and treats infectious diseases. Fresh juice from Guduchi can strengthen your immune system. You can take one tablespoon of Guduchi powder or 2 capsules with warm water in the morning on an empty stomach.
- Turmeric is a reservoir of health. Turmeric detoxifies the blood and promotes tissue healing. You can add it to your dishes, take it in tea or with lukewarm milk every day. The dosage should not increase 3-6 gms per day.
- Ashwagandha is a complete body tonic. It is known to promote immunity and enhance blood circulation. It also improves metabolism to increase physical strength. One tablespoon of its powder or 2 capsules can be taken with warm water in the morning, on an empty stomach.
Also Read:- Plasma Therapy & Corona Virus (COVID-19)
Can diet and exercise impact my immune system?
Definitely! The choices you make while setting up your meals or spending your day, directly affect your body. And your immunity guard can go down just as fast as your bodily health. So, it is important to act, eat and work wisely!
- Ginger and Garlic: Both of these herbs are rich in antimicrobial properties. They cleanse your gastrointestinal tract, prevent accumulation of toxins and promote tissue healing. Add them to your meals as garnish or flavour enhancers.
- Citrus Fruits: Vitamin C helps to increase white blood cells in the blood. You should consume citrus fruits like grapes, lemons, oranges, kiwi etc. in your daily diet.
- Dry Fruits: Nuts like walnuts and almonds are rich in Vitamin E and natural compounds that enhance immunity. They also rejuvenate the mind. Make sure to eat a handful of these every day.
- Green, Leafy Vegetables: Vegetables like spinach, broccoli etc. are great sources of fibre and essential vitamins. They can keep your infection fighting capability at its highest. Enrich your meals by adding different green vegetables.
- Green Tea and Juices: Antioxidants present in these drinks can help flush out “ama” (toxins) from the body. Drink any time throughout the day to rejuvenate mind and body.
- Cow’s Milk Products: Ghee, yogurt, curd etc. made from pure cow’s milk are enriching foods. They tone your body from head to toe.
- Black Pepper: Add powdered black pepper to all of your meals. Consume one bowl of vegetable soup with black pepper twice a day to fight off viral attacks.
- Yoga: Regular exercise can increase your blood flow, control your body weight and contribute to your immunity. Perform at least 1 hour of exercises daily.
- Control Consumption: Addictive substances like alcohol, nicotine etc. kill your white blood cells and hamper your metabolism. It would be wise to minimise their consumption while you practice self-isolation.
- Light Cooking In, Heavy Foods Out: Avoid consuming processed and fried foods. Even while cooking at home, keep your meals as balanced and light as possible. Make fresh food, juices and fruits your top preferences.
- Sleep Right: Your body can naturally strengthen your immune system if it has adequate rest. You should have 8 hours of sleep every night.
What about my stressful mind?
Staying inside a confined space for days and nights indefinitely can disturb your mental health. Most importantly, it can damage your immune system as well. There is one easy answer for all your anxieties and strains – Pranayama. Practice these calming breathing exercises anytime, anywhere and in the company of your family. It promises to rejuvenate every part of your body – making you stronger and more resilient to face new days with higher spirits!
Fighting against viruses like Covid-19 may seem difficult, but it’s not impossible. All you need are the tools to pump up your immune health and the spirit to Do-It-Yourself!
Nirogam – Natural Healing through Ayurveda is a Staunch believer that Ayurveda is not merely a science but lifestyle too. Her holistic approach towards diagnosis and treatment is based on the root cause of disease and gives you a three-dimensional solution to a condition that includes Ahaar (diet), Vihaar (lifestyle) and Aushadhi (medicines).